Tuesday, April 1, 2008

When Things Go Right

Sometimes I forget that it's equally as important to analyze the elements of a run that goes well as it is to dissect a run that goes awry. Yesterday I ran 18 miles with Deb McNally. It was raining cold drizzle, temps in the low 40's, but I had one of the best runs ever.

First, Debbie is a better pacer than I am. She would slow me down in the early miles, when I started to take off too fast. Second, the weather was cool. In spite of the rain, it was perfect for a long run. Third, I had at least 2.5 hours between eating half a bagel (with soy margarine) and coffee, and running.

I think these three elements prevented any stomach trouble whatsoever. No pit stops. We stopped very briefly for maybe 3 traffic lights during the whole run, and averaged a 9:09 pace. Of the three elements, I'm worst at pacing. That's what I need to practice. Honestly, an 8:30 mile feels the same as a 9:00 mile at times, I don't get it.

The More Half Marathon is in Central Park this Sunday. I need to convince myself that I can go sub-1:50. That's about an 8:20 mile. If I can do that in the hills of Central Park, I will feel much more confident about Buffalo.

No comments: