Friday, April 11, 2008

Slow Down!

I ran the stupidest race of my life at the More Half Marathon on April 6th. I was aiming for 8:40's for the first few miles. I kept looking at my watch for pace, and seeing the last part, the :48 and :50, and thought, ok, I'm doing 8:48, fine. Well, I was running 7:48 and 7:50 for the first 2 miles, then an 8:06 at mile 3 (that huge hill), then a 7:50 again for mile 4. It was just inconceivable to me that I could run that fast ever, so I thought it must be 8 minute miles, not 7. But finally I try slowing down, didn't bring it below 8:06 until Mile 7, when I had horrible stomach cramps resulting in a 70 second+ pit stop. I never got back in the groove after that. I'm sure the fast start caused the stomach problems, because I must have used the bathroom about 5 times before the race. I also woke up at 3:55 am that morning, so my body had plenty of time to wake up. My last mile was 8:16, but miles 8 and 9 were slow. Central Park is a tough, hilly course. I finished in 1:53:31, my best time on that course (only by 7 seconds), but the last 5 miles were so incredibly painful. I'm just really pissed at myself because I blew a good opportunity to do better, and I can't make that mistake at Buffalo. Buffalo is a fairly flat course. On the other hand, race predictors finally have me running a sub-four marathon again, so I feel like I'm finally back in the shape I was in January '06.

On a humorous note, I literally bumped into Kathrine Switzer in the aisles of the More Expo last Friday. We both did a double take. I think she recognizes me from meeting me about 4 times in the past year, including when she spoke at the running club. So we chatted a bit, and I told her my goal was 1:50. She said, "You can do it! Just don't go out to fast." And that's exactly what I ended up doing. Doh! I could just kick myself!

I've been running a lot with Deb McNally, I think she has the marathon bug now. Last week was a high mileage week for me, 51, and this week should be 53 if I do the 20 miles on Sunday. I'm just very fatigued, but my muscles seem to be holding up under the stress. My left knee is still sore, but otherwise I'm good.

No comments: